Vice President – Corporate Engineering, Technology & Reservoir
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Vice President – Corporate Engineering, Technology & Reservoir is responsible for the stewardship of the Company’s product and services offerings with a focus on operational excellence, reduction of environmental risk and the maximizing of production for our clients.
Working closely with Operations, Client Solutions, and the Corporate Services leadership team, this individual will ensure consistency in practices and continuous improvement around equipment and product reliability with a focus to lower operating costs through technology and sound operating practices.
The Vice President will have the ability to create and foster relationships within the internal organization and externally through positive and productive interactions with clients and the academic community within selected colleges and universities. This individual will also be the owner and protector of the Company’s Intellectual Property (IP).
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Work with the Business Units (BU) and Corporate to ensure the long-term engineering strategy is aligned across functional management teams.
- Through the use of sound business practices and applications, take the lead in becoming the gatekeeper for the Company’s Corporate Standards and Operating Practices.
- Manage the technology pipeline by establishing a gated process, from idea and selection criteria to business case through to execution.
- Ensure the Technology team works collaboratively with Operations, Engineering, Sales, and Supply Chain to provide technical support, technology knowledge transfer and improve profits/margins for materials used in the BU’s.
- Promote standardization of the Company’s products and services worldwide, including the building and maintaining of laboratory and analytical procedures for the Corporate Technology Centre, Business Unit support and district service laboratories, including laboratory design and equipment.
- Accountable for the preparation of the Technology budgets for Research, Product Development and Sustainment.
- Support the Company’s Data and Knowledge Management strategy through the implementation of corporate processes and systems.
- Oversee the ownership of the Product Lifecycle Management Process and the Product Portfolio.
- Work with the Manager – Corporate Technology to continuously review and evaluate new product development and how it creates or sustains our market differentiation.
- Working with the Director – Reservoir, increases our technical understanding of the application and reservoir interaction.
- Ensure the Company’s service offerings maximize the connectivity of the wellbore to the reservoir.
- Protect the IP strategy by working with and guiding the Company’s Patent Engineer(s) to ensure acquired or created IP is protected.
- Ensure an effective strategy is in place to reduce environmental risk through maintaining well integrity, reducing consumption of resources such as fresh water, and focus on a year over year reduction of any impact on the environment.
Training & Development
- Provide support and input to the Training & Development Team of employees.
- Oversee critical staffing through collaboration with Human Resources.
- Partner with Training & Development to ensure all members of the team have the appropriate training and are exposed to developmental opportunities within the organization.
- Continuously verify that each BU has the established engineering and technology support needed to maintain alignment and achieve stated goals and objectives.
The desired candidate profile will include the following skills, experience, credentials and personal attributes:
- Post-secondary education in Engineering or Science from an accredited university.
- Advanced technical expert (minimum 15 years) in Operations, Engineering and/or Technology.
- Exposure to Intellectual Property and Patent law in North America would be valuable.
- Recognized industry expert and active participation within their oil and gas industry peer group that has published and presented papers and/or has been granted patents.
- Has led a team of technical staff and demonstrated accomplishments related to positive employee relations, employee morale, team building, change management and training.
- Strong communication skills, including presenting in front of a large audience comprised of technical staff, customers, and management will be required.
Leadership and Management Skills
- Ability to manage a diverse multi-level workforce.
- Demonstrating accomplishment related to positive employee development, team building, and training.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and capable of conducting technical external and internal presentation
- Strategic thinking abilities with the ability to challenge established thinking
- The ability to make solid decisions based upon sound analysis