Vice President & General Counsel
Our client is a well-established and very successful energy services company providing a variety of products and services to North American and international customers.
Based in Calgary, the Vice President & General Counsel will play a key, senior advisory role to the Executive Board and Management Team of the Company on all legal issues, activities and matters to ensure that the company’s assets and interests are safeguarded and advanced within the established corporate risk parameters. The Vice President & General Counsel will be responsible for developing innovative legal strategies and solutions to meet the increasingly complex and diverse requirements as the company executes its growth strategy across a number of continents simultaneously.
The Vice President & General Counsel will also participate in commercial contract/deal structuring and negotiations and provide both strategic and operational leadership in the legal aspects of M&A due diligence processes, Financing/Banking arrangements (in collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer), and joint venture and/or partnership agreements. This individual will also establish, manage and optimize the required external legal support services in multiple, international jurisdictions.
A key area of accountability for this position will be the leadership and management of the in-house Legal team which provides a broad range of day-to-day legal services and support to all of the Company’s business units on a global level with respect to a wide range of legal issues and initiatives.
The desired candidate profile will include the following skills, experience, credentials and personal attributes:
- High degree of business and personal ethics and integrity; strong sense of engagement, collaboration and accountability.
- LLB. designation; eligible for membership in the Alberta Bar
- A minimum of 12 years of legal experience, several years of which has ideally been as in-house counsel in an Energy Services/Energy organization with international operations and assets. Public company experience would be an asset although not a requirement.
- Strong corporate/commercial legal background with extensive experience in domestic and international joint venture and partnership agreements and contracts.
- A ‘generalist’ exposure to other areas of law including: Corporate Governance, Mergers & Acquisitions, Litigation, Intellectual Property, Corporate Finance & Structuring, Employment & Immigration, Insurance, Corporate Secretarial, Tax.
- Superb communication, interpersonal and leadership skills along with the ability to build long term, effective and synergistic working relationships across the enterprise both in North America and Internationally as well as with various external advisors, external legal services providers and other business entities.
- Solid, broad negotiation experience and abilities in both domestic and international arenas.