Manager, Corporate Payroll
Our client is a well-established and very successful energy services company providing a variety of products and services to North American and international customers.
Reporting to the Vice President, Human Resources, the Manager, Corporate Payroll is accountable for the successful operation of the Corporate and International Payroll. In addition, the Manager, Corporate Payroll will provide supervision, direction and guidance to less experienced team members in the Corporate Payroll group and guidance to selected members of the Canadian business unit Payroll team.
The ability to tactically manage Payroll related issues for the company in collaboration with the HR Leadership team and ensuring compliance with employment, privacy, human rights and other relevant legislation and regulatory bodies will be a key success factor in this role.
- Manages, verifies, assigns, coordinates and processes payroll, the technical work of the department or project teams, including Record of Employment, calculation of hours, special adjustments, bonuses, advances, deductions and taxes
- Supervises and maintains payroll and personnel files for all divisions and subsidiaries as required
- Collaborates with business partners in the planning and administration of human resource related practices including, on boarding; reward system, direct and indirect compensation (e.g., salary and benefits); performance management and training
- Manages and calculates revenue remittances and remitting prior to due date
- Oversees and processes and remits employee arrears and garnishee of wages for each pay period
- Supervises and responds to employee inquiries regarding payroll calculations and general payroll questions
- Supplies year-end reporting and processing assistance, including the printing and reconciling of T4s
- Completes special duties, assignments and projects a required
- Performs all functions related to the processing of an international payroll, including the administration of international allowances and premiums and the preparation of special reporting items (e.g. Overseas Employment Tax Credit)
- Communicates effectively with Management, team members, clients and customers in the planning, coordination and execution of services and initiatives
- Notifies and reports to senior Management any trends critical to the Company’s performance related to payroll matters.
- Liaises with Corporate HR to ensure consistency with Corporate policy and HR strategy
- Assists in the coordination of the overall activities of team members in accordance with policies established by the Executive Committee
- Provides information and advice to employees and Management on interpretation of policies, programs and relevant legislation serving as a subject matter expert
- Participates, as required, in issues surrounding payroll and taxation for respective client groups in the Canadian and International business units.
- Strives for a high level of data integrity including but not limited to follow up, accuracy and timeliness surrounding all data processed
- Oversees and assists in the generation of Payroll metrics and data as required and producing daily, weekly, monthly and/or ad hoc reports as required
- Collaborates in providing the required information for the financial planning and budget process, analyzing and correcting estimates as required
The desired candidate profile will include the following skills, experience, credentials and personal attributes:
- Completion of post-secondary education including receipt of a Diploma or Degree in Payroll, Accounting, Business or other related area and seven years of experience or a combination of education and experience
- Progressive development of knowledge in the field of Canadian and International Payroll complimented by the successful Completion of Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification
- Related experience in the Energy industry an asset
- Experience with main frame payroll systems with a preference for experience in Peoplesoft applications.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities within challenging time frames.
- Proven ability to manage highly sensitive data.
- Knowledge of regulatory issues impacting Canadians working in international assignments.
- Ability to solve special payroll problems or challenges.
- Ability to build strong, productive relationships throughout the organization.
- Ability to lead by example through work ethic and commitment to the Company.
- Ethical behavior and general business skills including demonstrated professionalism and respect.