Senior Crude Oil Trader
Our client is a regional market leader for crude oil refining and marketing.
This key role will be responsible for the identification, negotiation and execution of supply deals for crude products in Mid-continent North American markets. The Senior Crude Oil Trader will participate in the development of strategy and execution of commercial activities and develop and maintain relationships with a broad base of suppliers. Accountable for the achievement of specific margin and EBITDA targets, this role functions as part of a team dedicated to maximizing Company returns on this package of business.
- Provide guidance, direction and leadership to the logistics scheduling team
- As part of a small team, develop strategies for crude acquisition and supply responding creatively and flexibly to changes and opportunities presented by the market
- Identify optimal feed slate and plan commercial market activities to identify suppliers and negotiate spot purchases or sales contracts to maximize margins of mid-continent crude
- Develop relationships with suppliers across the broad spectrum of the industry in Western Canada and mid-west USA individually and as part of the commercial team
- Work collaboratively with logistics & refining teams to facilitate loading and storage opportunities with suppliers and third parties ensuring that supply chain assets are fully utilized. Resolve and trouble shoot issues as required.
- Provide inputs and utilize outputs of financial analysis to inform decision making and commercial opportunities. Independently research the market and industry to develop a high level of understanding of the current and near term state of the market.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills, credentials, experience and personal attributes:
- Post-secondary degree in relevant field (Business, Marketing or Engineering)
- Approximately 7-10 years of industry related experience including at least 1-2 years of trading experience
- Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills supported by proven experience in business presentations and negotiations
- Strong understanding of well head economics, logistics and crude oil pricing
Key Core Competencies:
- Initiative - self driven to accomplish and exceed goals
- Teamwork - work effectively with small direct team that is geographically disbursed to achieve goals and actively collaborate with broader organizational teams
- Adaptability – flexibility to adjust to changing demands, responsibilities and issues
- Decisiveness – move quickly on issues and opportunities weighing risks in a fast paced environment
- Communications – Strong verbal communication skills – ability to conduct clear concise conversations that result in shared understanding