Director, Internal Audit
Our Client is a regional market leader for crude oil refining and marketing.
Reporting directly to the Chief Governance Officer, the Director of Internal Audit will be primarily responsible for the company’s internal audit group. The Director will assess and provide independent assurance regarding management’s control environment with oversight to audit execution, including detailed planning, field work, documentation of findings and agreement on management actions. The Director will leverage industry best practices and add value by developing relationships with operational leaders throughout the organization to monitor and improve internal controls, processes and drive operating efficiencies.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Establish the annual and five-year audit plans for the organization.
- Develop the five-year strategic plan for the internal audit function.
- Manage internal audit mandates; supervise and review work carried out by team members (monitoring the internal audit timetable, budget monitoring, managing any identified gaps, developing and validating recommendations, following up on projects as required, etc.).
- Recommend control improvements including operational enhancements or efficiencies
- Participate in meetings with senior management to discuss internal control recommendations and propose value-added solutions.
- Supervise follow-up on the implementation of internal audit recommendations with the business leaders.
- Develop management reports, performance indicators and dashboards.
- Coordinate, review and validate employee communications regarding internal controls.
- Coordinate and review quarterly internal audit reports for the Audit Committee.
- Coordinate with our external auditors and third party subject matter experts as required.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field (Business/Finance) along with completion of a recognized accounting designation; completion of CIA designation would be an asset.
- 10+ years of post-university work experience, including a minimum of 5+ years leading an Internal Audit department.
- Audit experience acquired in both professional accounting firm environment as well as in-house, corporate experience is strongly preferred.
- Possess strong knowledge of Internal Auditing methodologies and standards.
- Demonstrated leadership and influencing skills along with a strong results-orientation.
- Proactive and a self-starter; a team player who with the ability to function effectively as both a leader and an individual contributor as required.
- Ability to plan and organize with strong attention to detail.
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills; demonstrated decisiveness, consistently producing quality results against given deadlines.
- Is adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity and change.