Manager, Drilling and Completions
Our client is a growing, intermediate E&P company.
Reporting to the Vice President, Operations the Manager, Drilling and Completions is responsible for managing all aspects of the company’s drilling, completion and workover activities. Some of the key areas of responsibility and activity include:
- Ensuring all drilling and completions activities within the geographical area of assignment is conducted in accordance with the laws, regulations and in accordance with internal and external policies and practices.
- Ensure that all operations have been thoroughly researched, engineered, programmed and implemented in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with prescribed requirements of the company.
- Provide technical advice for drilling contractors and consultants and the technical assessment of responses to tenders for drilling services and materials.
- Provide approval, advice and recommend solutions for well control situations and drilling or well problems of serious nature.
- Provide overall supervision over the contracted services to ensure that all work is properly supervised and administered.
- Ensure that contacts with operating contractors and service companies are maintained; ensure that contractors and service companies fully understand requirements and are capable of meeting them.
- Assist staff to resolve complex or out of policy operation problems.
- Plan, direct and provide general supervision over the activities of assigned personnel in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Direct staff in the development, analysis, and preparation of operational and engineering reports.
- Review reports prepared by subordinates such as drilling, well completion, work-over, flow test, drill stem test and similar technical summary reports.
- Liaising with the exploitation team for coordination of drilling schedules.
- Working with the operations team to drive consistent and predictable production performance.
- Building relationships and trust within the organization, with both the corporate and operations teams.
- Working with Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship at the top of mind at all times.
The preferred candidate profile would include the following skills, experience, credentials and personal attributes:
- Approximately 15 years of engineering experience, preferably in the oil and gas exploration and production industry in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin (WCSB).
- Three to five years in a managerial role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering preferred.
- Membership with APEGA; Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng).
- Demonstrates strong commitment to Safety, Health, and Environment.
- Experience in Drilling, Completions, and Workovers, including some field experience with a focus on horizontal wells and multi-stage drilling programs.
- Experience in all product streams associated with the WCSB, with additional experience in all development phases from exploratory to mature would be considered an asset.
- Strong technical background and the ability to effectively lead a goal oriented team.
- Strong working knowledge of engineering economics.
- Experienced leader with the ability to mentor the existing Engineering staff and develop the Engineering department as required.
- Strong presentation skills and is comfortable delivering complex conceptual information to audiences including senior management and industry professionals.
- Excellent communication skills, a positive attitude and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamically changing workday and organization.
- Strong computer skills, including exceptional proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AFE Navigator, Accumap, etc.