Our client is an Alberta-based energy company.
Reporting to the Vice President, Commercial, the Director, Procurement position is a senior strategic management position at the company and will be responsible for leading and delivering the development and implementation the company’s expanding procurement functions. The Director, Procurement will be expected to build and lead the Procurement team, as well as lead cross-functional teams comprised of internal and external expert advisors. The successful candidate will deliver on their mandate by incorporating best procurement practices and sound commercial principles ultimately positioning the company for success.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Develops and drives the strategy associated with each procurement to be advanced including identifying the desired end states, objectives, key assumptions, constraints, resource requirements including budget and execution plan of complex procurements.
- Determines the internal (e.g. IT, Finance, Legal, Communication) and external team members (e.g. Legal, Financial) required for each procurement including the need for jurisdictional reviews and/or stakeholder engagements.
- Leads through influence, and directs and supports the teams responsible for the development and implementation of each procurement.
- Looks for, and implements opportunities to ensure effective and efficient coordination between the Commercial and Procurement teams.
- Identifies, organizes and leads ad-hoc cross-functional working teams to respond to and resolve short, medium and longer term issues or concerns as procurement development and implementation progress.
- As a member of the leadership team, facilitate the communication and implementation of procurement activities throughout the organization, in order to support corporate strategy and goal attainment.
- Produce and deliver against an agreed strategic account plan and budget.
The desired candidate profile will include the following skills, experience, credentials and personal attributes:
- A post-secondary degree in business, finance or related field and a Masters Level education is preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of related energy industry experience, supported by business, finance, procurement and commercial and exposure to procurement management functions.
- Minimum ten years of senior management experience in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, establish plans and execute efficiently to deliver results.
- Track record of building and enhancing client/customer relationships.
- Proven experience in managing teams working cross-functionally within an organization.
- Ability to communicate up and across multiple organizations, solicit alignment, gain approval for evolving strategies and solutions, and mobilize to action.
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills including track record for delivering presentations to boards, senior management, government agencies, staff and public stakeholders.
- Outstanding interpersonal and networking skills.
- Leadership qualities are essential - must be able to inspire and motivate people to drive the business forward to achieve corporate and departmental goals.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven ability to credibly present corporate direction and decisions to a politically sensitive and knowledgeable audience.
- Superior negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Computer literate with experience in using common industry databases and software.
- Strong desire to continuously learn and take on new challenges.